A. Yes, below are the requirements for all tour participants:
1. participants must be between the ages of 8-75 years old
2. can not be pregnant, must be capable of climbing stairs (6 steps)
3. not have any back, neck, joint pain and/or other injuries
4. must not have any serious health conditions
5. must be physically fit to ride on a boat
6. must be able to tolerate an open ocean ride (can get bumpy)
7. must read and sign waiver before tour
8. passenger weight limit is a maximum of 275 lbs.
Passengers will see lava in the dark during the sunrise tour. Note: Unless the Captain feels the conditions are not suitable and may depart when water is visible
A. The travel time along the beautiful Puna coast to the viewing station is approximately 2 to 2 ½ hours roundtrip. (Travel time will vary depending on sea conditions).
A. Once at the lava viewing station, sightseers will be given approximately 30 minutes to soak in and absorb one of nature’s greatest wonders.
A. If Mother Nature is not cooperating on the day of your scheduled tour, we will unfortunately have to cancel and reschedule. If rescheduling is not an option, you will receive a full refund. Reasons for cancellations may include bad weather, high winds, rough waters and lava flows change of course (away from ocean).
If you are unable to participate in the tour due to any other conflict we need at least 48 hrs advance notice via phone in order to issue a full refund.
A. Adults are not required to wear a life vest but there is one available per passenger. Children 12 yrs. and under are required to wear a life vest at all times on the boat.
A. It can easily accommodate up to 6 passengers comfortably.
A. Moku Nui Lava Tours is owned and operated by a Native Hawaiian family. “Kanoaokekai” is operated by Captain Kanoa and is fully insured.
A. The Captain aboard has over 30 years of ocean experience and will make your ride relaxing. This double hulled vessel is specifically used to make your boating experience a little more enjoyable since its design provides greater stability over the choppy water surface.
A. Yes, please note the below:
- Wear comfortable clothing and bring a jacket
- Protection for your electronics (Ziplock Bags)
- Appropriate footwear (with grip)
- If prone to getting sea sick we STRONGLY suggest taking Bonine or Dramamine at least 1 hour before departure
- If doing a day trip we suggest you bring a hat and sunglasses
- Prior to boarding, please use parks restroom facilities
A. If winds are strong and waters are rough you may get splashed.